The holiday season is in full swing and I’ve got the perfect festive recipe to share, Holiday Stuffed Butternut Squash!
Perfectly tender butternut squash roasted to perfection- stuffed with tri-color quinoa, vegan apple sage sausage, mushrooms, shallots, and fresh sage leaves.
This vegan stuffed butternut squash is heaven on a plate, if you ask me! I’ve been planning a holiday menu to share with you guys and this dish is everything!
It’s basically all the flavors I love from Thanksgiving stuffing in quinoa form with melt-in-your-mouth caramelized butternut squash and almond ricotta.
This holiday stuffed squash takes just one hour to prepare! The quinoa stuffing and almond ricotta can be made while the butternut squash is roasting in the oven.
Made with simple ingredients you probably already have in your pantry, this vegan stuffed butternut squash makes an excellent side dish but is also hearty enough for a main course.
You are going to love this vegan stuffed butternut squash! It’s:
Hearty enough for a main course!
Save a spot for this vegan quinoa stuffed butternut squash on your holiday table! Your family will love it. If you try this recipe, be a pal and leave a comment letting us know how yours turned out!
Don’t forget to tag a photo #carrotsandflowers on Instagram! We love seeing what you come up with!
- 1 large butternut squash
- 1 vegan apple sage sausage link
- 1 shallot
- 2-3 cloves garlic
- 1 cup mushrooms
- 1 tsp sage leaves, chiffoned (about 2-3 leaves)
- ½ cup dried quinoa
- 1 cup vegetable broth
- ⅓ cup fresh cherries
- 2 Tbsp grapeseed or olive oil
- ¼ cup almond ricotta
- sea salt and cracked pepper to taste
- Preheat the oven to 425F. Split the butternut squash in half and scoop out seeds, and cross hatch the squash with a knife. Spread 1 Tbsp oil on the fleshy part of the squash. Follow with a generous sprinkle of sea salt and pepper. Place the squash halves oiled side down on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper. Bake for 45-55 minutes, until the outside of the squash is easily pierced with a fork.
- Add the quinoa and vegetable broth to a rice cooker and cook. Fluff the quinoa with a fork when it's done cooking.
- Heat 1 Tbsp oil in a pan on medium heat. Add the shallots and garlic. Cook for 1-2 minutes, stirring often. Add the vegan sausage and mushrooms. Cook for 4-5 minutes until most of the liquid is released. Add the cooked quinoa, cherries, and sage. Stir for 1-2 minutes until the quinoa is hot.
- Scoop a generous amount of the quinoa mixture into the squash halves. Top each with 2 Tbsp almond ricotta. Garnish with more herbs and cherries. Enjoy!