I made these FLUFFY Vegan Sweet Potato Pancakes with Pecans because 2020 is almost over, it’s been a five year kinda year, and dammit we deserve pancakes!
These vegan sweet potato pancakes have a subtle cozy fall flavor, made soooo fluffy, chewy, and moist from the sweet potato. I love making these with leftover mashed sweet potatoes, especially if they were roasted! It adds a nice caramelized notes to the pancakes.
If you really want to go all out, throw some coconut whipped cream on to your stack. You deserve it!
Tag me on Instagram #carrotsandflowers when you make this! I wanna see your cakes!
- 2 tbsp chia seeds + 5 tbsp water
- 2½ cups soy or oat milk + 2 tsp vinegar
- 3 tablespoons coconut oil or vegan butter, melted (plus more for the pan)
- 2⅓ cups whole wheat flour
- 1½ teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1½ teaspoons ground nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 3 tablespoons packed brown sugar
- 1⅓ cups mashed sweet potato (see Recipe Notes)
- ⅔ cup chopped pecans
- Maple syrup, for serving
- 1 cup strawberries, sliced (optional)
- Mix together the chia seeds and water in a small bowl. Combine the soy milk and vinegar. Stir well and set aside both the chia and milk aside for 5 minutes.
- In a large bowl, add the flour, cinnamon, nutmeg, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and sugar. Mix well. Add the sweet potato, chia "eggs" and milk. Stir to combine but do not overmix. Let the batter rest while you preheat a griddle pan over medium heat.
- Melt 1 tbsp of butter in the pan. Working in batches, use ⅓ cup to portion out pancakes. Add the pecans if using.
- Cook until the edges start to set and the bottom is golden brown, about 3 minutes. Flip and cook the other side until golden brown. Because of the density of the sweet potato, these pancakes don't bubble as much as normal pancakes. Gently lift a corner to check the color if you're not sure. Use more butter as needed to finish pancakes.
- Serve with maple syrup and more pecans, if desired.
For more amazingly delicious and easy vegan recipes, pre-order a copy of my second cookbook, Vegan YUM: The Secrets To Mastering Plant-Based Cooking!
Each pre-order will receive a copy of my bonus ebook, Vegan YUM: Seafood Edition! Email me a copy of your order confirmation to firstname.lastname@example.org