I have a special place in my heart for strawberry ice cream. But once I tried this vegan strawberry ice cream, I was hooked. All the light, yummy deliciousness of fruit and cream, minus the dairy. It’s pretty much a dream come true. And if you top it off with sweet, tangy balsamic drizzle and a little sprig of basil? We are talking next level gourmet vegan awesomeness. Don’t take my word for it, try the recipe for yourself!
Raw vegan ice cream made from frozen bananas is affectionately called “nice cream” (it’s nice to the cows!) If you’ve never heard of it before, prepare to be delighted. It’s easy to make, extremely nutritious, and tastes just as good, if not better, than dairy ice cream.
Another thing I love about making nice cream is that you can use any variety of frozen fruit, so you aren’t limited to what is currently in season. Another bonus- frozen fruit tends to be less expensive than fresh fruit and it has a higher nutritional content. Basically, nice cream is my new favorite food and I’m completely thrilled that it’s healthy enough to eat every day!
- 4 frozen bananas, chopped into quarters
- 1 bag frozen strawberries
- 3 tablespoons maple syrup
- 3 tablespoons coconut milk
- Combine all ingredients in a large food processor. Pulse for 30 seconds at a time until smooth and creamy. This will take about 10-15 minutes.
- The mixture will be very soft. Pour it into a medium container and freeze for 30-45 minutes. Once it’s a little more firm, you can scoop it out just like ice cream! Top with a drizzle of balsamic reduction and a sprig of basil. Enjoy!
- If you can’t find vegan balsamic drizzle (most sugar isn’t vegan), make your own by combining 1 cup of high quality balsamic vinegar with 1/4 cup of maple syrup or agave nectar in a small saucepan. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to low and simmer for 10 minutes, stirring often. (This will not be raw vegan, but it is quite delicious!)
Did you make this recipe? We want to see! Tag your awesome food pics with #carrotsandflowers so we can beam with pride and delight!
If you want more vegan ice cream recipes, check out our recipe for Raw Vegan Persimmon Ice Cream! Searching for more recipes that use basil? Try our recipe for Raw Vegan Pesto. It is seriously the most deliciously simple meal ever. I am not exaggerating when I say I make this pesto at least twice a week. It’s that good!
You can follow us on Periscope to see live vegan cooking demos and learn more about why being vegan is awesome for your health, the animals, and the planet. Our Periscope handle is @carrotflow 🙂