I am a big believer in brunch. Something about sitting down to enjoy a a delicious, healthy meal is such a wonderful way to kick off the day. Luckily, most vegan meals are inherently good for you, which makes it super easy to eat a satisfying meal that will give you energy for the day ahead.
Vegan Breakfast Hash is hands down one of my favorite savory brunch options. It’s simple, flavorful, and full of fresh vegetables- a perfect meal to fill your belly and rev up your metabolism. Even better, if you make a big batch, you can easily heat it up all week for mouth watering, easy, vegan breakfasts. I like to wrap a big scoop of it up in a tortilla to make a tasty ass vegan breakfast burrito.
This Vegan Breakfast Hash only takes about 15 minutes to prepare. I like to use sweet potatoes and regular potatoes, the combination is soooo yummy. The spice blend is smoky and savory, and the nutritional yeast lends a cheesy note to the dish. Speaking of nutritional yeast, I use it in everything. Sauces, hummus, tofu, even vegan cheese. The possibilities are endless. 🙂
- 3 sweet potatoes, chopped
- 2 red or gold potatoes, chopped
- 1 lb firm tofu, pressed and crumbled
- 1 lb mushrooms, sliced
- 1 yellow onion, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil
- 2 tablespoons nutritional yeast
- 2 teaspoons cumin
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 teaspoon mustard powder
- 1 teaspoon chipotle powder
- 1/4-1/2 teaspoon cracked pepper
- Melt the coconut oil in a large skillet on medium high heat. I like to use a cast iron pan, so I can scrape all the goodness off the bottom of the pan. Sauté the onion and garlic for 1-2 minute, then add the the potatoes. Meanwhile, combine all the spices together in a small dish.
- Add the tofu to the pan, then sprinkle the spice blend on top. Reduce heat to medium and cook for 5 minutes, stirring often. You may need to add a tablespoon of water here and there to deglaze the bottom of the pan.
- Add the peppers and mushrooms. Sauté for ten more minutes, until all vegetables are cooked through.
- Top the hash with avocado, chopped cilantro, salsa, and a drizzle of simple cashew cream (recipe here)
Did you try this recipe? We wanna see! Follow us on IG @carrotsandflowers and share your recipe photos with the tag #carrotsandflowers 🙂