Behold, my latest obsession… Vegan Tom Yum Mac & Cheese!
I didn’t think it was possible to improve on the delicious perfection of mac & cheese, but as it turns out, when you add creamy Chef’s Choice coconut milk and tom yum paste, it becomes even tastier and more satisfying.
The complexity of the flavors folded into the stretchy, melty cheese is to-die-for. But don’t take my word for it- you simply must try this vegan tom yum mac & cheese for yourself!
Tom yum paste can be found online or in your local Asian market. One jar will last a long time in the fridge, so you can make creamy vegan tom yum mac & cheese for months!
I highly recommend the addition of crispy plant-based chicken. It adds heartiness and chewiness to the dish that really takes it over the top!
Be sure to let me know when you try this recipe by commenting below! If you share your photo on Instagram or Facebook, tag me @carrotsandflowers so I can admire your creations. It always makes my day!
I also included THREE made-from scratch vegan mac & cheese recipes in my cookbook, 30 Minute Vegan Dinners. If you haven’t picked up a copy yet, you are missing out!
- 3 cups fusilli or shell pasta
- 14 oz can coconut milk
- 3 tbsp tom yum paste
- 3 tbsp tapioca flour
- 3 tbsp nutritional yeast
- 2 cloves garlic
- ¼ tsp coconut sugar or agave nectar
- ¼ tsp sea salt
- For serving
- handful cilantro, chopped
- 8 oz crispy vegan chicken
- red pepper flakes
- 1 lime for garnish
- Cook the pasta according to package instructions. Add the coconut milk, tom yum paste, nutritional yeast, garlic, sugar and salt to a blender. Blend on high for one minute. Meanwhile, preheat a sauce pan over medium high heat.
- Transfer the contents of the blender to the hot pan. Begin stirring right away, scraping the bottom and sides of the pan. Stir quickly and constantly until the lumps are gone and the cheese is very stretchy. Add the cooked pasta and mix well.
- Divide the tom yum mac & cheese between serving bowls. Garnish each bowl with cilantro, crispy vegan chicken, red pepper flakes, and a squeeze of lime juice.
To save this vegan tom yum mac & cheese recipe for later, pin the photo below!