My favorite food holiday just got a little brighter with this kickass vegan sausage and mushroom stuffing! I typically love all things bread and carb related, but this vegan stuffing is extra special.
I’m a big fan of sweet and savory things, so to liven up the flavors in this unbelievable vegan stuffing I tossed in some chopped dried cherries. Who says cranberries get to have all the fun?
The perfect vegan stuffing always starts with the bread. For this vegan sausage and mushroom stuffing, I chose a hearty, rustic cranberry walnut loaf but this recipe will work well with any bread, especially sourdough or a vegan brioche.
Is it just me or are mushrooms and nuts the best combination ever? I love toasted pecans in this recipe! They add the perfect bit of crunch and remind me so much of warm, cozy Autumn nights. This vegan stuffing is everything I love about Fall in one bite! It is:
Just a bit sweet
Perfect way to soak up Vegan Mushroom Gravy!
If you’re not into the sweet/savory combo, mix things up! Use a vegan Italian sausage in place of the apple sage sausage, swap the dried cherries for sun dried tomato, and the pecans for walnuts! Sprinkle in some oregano and you’ll have an insanely delicious savory Italian stuffing!
How delicious does this vegan stuffing look on this plate of vegan magic? There is something about a giant ass plate of entirely plant-based food that just makes me so unbelievably happy. Who’s with me?!
This vegan sausage and mushroom stuffing is the last recipe I’m sharing before I post The Ultimate Vegan Thanksgiving Feast!
Get ready for:
BBQ Glazed Lentil Loaf, Creamy Green Bean Casserole, Roasted Rainbow Carrots, Gluten-free Mushroom Gravy, Vegan Sausage and Mushroom Stuffing, Cream Cheese Stuffed Cornbread, Pumpkin Layer Cake with Pecan Crumbles, and Chai Spiced Apple Pie (courtesy of my good friend Josie of Sugar & Satire!)
Are you excited? I hope so!
To save this recipe for later, pin the photo below! If you make this Vegan Sausage and Mushroom Stuffing, be sure to rate it in the comments! And don’t forget to tag a photo #carrotsandflowers on Instagram. We love seeing what you come up with!
- 1 loaf vegan bread of choice, cut into 1" cubes
- 3 cups sliced mushrooms
- 8 vegan apple sage sausages
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 yellow or white onion, diced fine
- 1½ cups celery, diced fine
- 3 Tbsp vegan butter.
- ½ cup dried cherries, roughly chopped
- ½ cup parsley, chopped
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 1 tsp dried thyme
- 2 tsp dried sage
- 1 tsp dried rosemary
- ½ tsp black pepper
- 2 cups vegetable stock or vegan chicken stock.
- Make ahead- Cube the bread and let sit overnight in a loosely covered bowl. To make the day of, bake the cubes at 250F for one hour while you prepare the rest of the ingredients.
- Preheat the oven to 350F. Toast the pecans in a single layer on a baking sheet for 5-7 minutes at 350F. Set aside
- Melt the butter in a large pan on medium heat. Add the vegan sausage, onion, and garlic, cook until the onion is translucent, about 2-3 minutes. Stir in the celery, mushrooms, and dried cherries. Cook for another ten minutes or until vegetables are tender, stirring often. Remove from heat then stir in the parsley, salt, and spices (thyme through pepper.)
- In a large bowl, combine the vegetable mixture with the cubed bread. Pour the vegetable broth over the bread. Stir until moist.
- Spoon the bread mixture into a 13 x 9-inch baking dish coated with vegan butter. Cover and bake at 350° for 15 minutes. Uncover and bake an additional 20 minutes or until top is crusty.