Veganism is on the rise, friends!
There has been an explosion of new vegan products on the shelves as more and more people give up eating animal products and I couldn’t be happier about it!
My absolute favorite vegan meat replacement I’ve tried this year is the jackfruit confit by Nature’s Charm. I shared an uber-creamy vegan Carbonara a few months back using the jackfruit confit and I am back with an even easier, more delicious recipe for you all today!
I really wanted to showcase just how easy and crave-worthy the jackfruit confit is without any additional seasoning or much effort at all, so I created a recipe for a Pub Style Jackfruit Confit Burger, inspired by a famous duck confit burger served at a pub in the UK.
This Pub Style Jackfruit Confit Burger only takes 15 minutes to make, including the caramelized onions! Thanks to a secret ingredient (spoiler alert: it’s baking soda!) the onions release their sugars and brown in just ten minutes, as opposed to the thirty minutes they usually take to caramelize.
The jackfruit confit comes basically ready to eat! Literally all you have to do it fry it in a pan until crispy and melt vegan cheese on it. It’s sooooooooo good. The sweetness of the caramelized onions really compliments the flavors of the jackfruit confit and if you can find vegan pretzel buns, you may just make this for dinner every night!
Good thing the jackfruit confit comes in packs of 6. I recommend getting two! They make such an easy, delicious dinner- Here’s a link for you to try them yourself!
Did you make this mega-easy, melty, cheesy Pub Style Jackfruit Confit Burger? Rate it in the comments and tell me all about it! While you’re at it, post a photo of your creation to Instagram with the tag #carrotsandflowers. I love seeing what you come up with!
For all my dedicated foodies still reading, thank you! I’ve been rather MIA for the last few months but I have exciting news! I have finished my cookbook! It will feature 75 recipes- all DINNERS that can be MADE IN 30 MINUTES- including prep! I delivered the photos over the weekend and the manuscript is with the copyeditor.
It’s been a long, crazy journey but I am so pleased to announce that my cookbook will available for pre-order soon and released in Feb! Be sure to sign up for my email list if you want to stay updated!
To save this recipe for later, pin the photo below!
- 2 vegan buns or 4 slider buns (pretzel if you have them)
- 2 cans Nature's Charm jackfruit confit
- ½ cup vegan mozzarella shreds
- handful arugula
- spicy mustard
- Quick-Caramelized Onions
- 1 red onion
- 2 tsp oil or vegan butter
- 1 tbsp brown sugar
- less than ⅛ tsp baking soda
- Heat a pan over medium heat. Slice the onion in half, then cut it into very thin strips.
- Melt the vegan butter in the pan then add the onions Sprinkle them with the teensiest pinch of baking soda, no more than ⅛ tsp or the onions will turn mushy. This releases the sugars faster so they caramelize more quickly.
- Let the onions cook undisturbed for 2 minutes then add the sugar and stir. Cook the onions for 7-8 more minutes until soft and browned, stirring occasionally.
- Meanwhile, heat a second pan on medium high heat. Drain the oil from the jackfruit confit. Add the jackfruit confit to the hot pan. Gently smash it with the back of a spatula. Cook for 2 minutes until browned, then flip. Cover with vegan cheese and place the lid over the pan. Cook for 2 minutes or until cheese is melty.
- While the jackfruit and onions are cooking, toast the buns. Spread 1 tsp mustard on each bun. Uncover the pan and divide the cheesy jackfruit between the buns. Top with caramelized onions and arugula.