Happy New Year, dear friends! What better way to start 2017 off right than with a delicious and healthy Vegan Frittata?
This baby is packed with greens, flavor, and tons of protein and fiber.
Speaking of protein and fiber, I am delighted to announce a huge improvement to our recipes! I’ll now be including nutritional information in our posts and going back through old recipes to add the valuable info.
It’s a huge myth (one that I exhaustingly debated over the holidays) that vegan food is lacking in protein. Well friends, I am here to dispel that myth right now starting with this savory and amazing vegan frittata.
I started with a ton of broccoli and leeks for flavor, texture, and nutrition. Of course I threw in some garlic (duh) and nutritional yeast cause you can’t have a vegan frittata without it!
The base is made from tofu, an excellent and very tasty plant-based source. Each serving of this vegan frittata boasts over 15 grams of protein, more than you’d get from a two egg omelette!
This vegan frittata also includes a bit of turmeric, both for color and for additional healthy stuffs. Turmeric is believed to be as effective at treating a variety of ailments, improving conditions from depression to inflammation. Pretty cool, right?
It also makes the frittata look more like it’s traditional egg filled counterpart. But why eat eggs when vegan frittatas have zero cholesterol and is just as satisfying?
The day I made this vegan frittata, my husband and I scarfed it down in less than ten minutes. It’s seriously SO GOOD. However, the recipe definitely serves 3 though I would serve it alongside a green salad or toast for a full and balanced meal.
This vegan frittata post for me, the first of 2017! Carrots and Flowers grew so much last year, we went from having 100 fans on social media to growing a community of nearly 70,000 souls!
We have a lot of exciting things on the horizon for 2017, including finally releasing our first cookbook! Most of all though, Pasha and I just want to give a heart felt thanks to each and every one of you. For trying our recipes and sharing them with your friends, for sending us heartfelt messages and comments, and for all the love and support.
THANK YOU!! And Happy New Year! As we grow and improve the recipes and site even more, we would love to get your feedback! If there is anything you’d like to see from us in the coming year, leave a comment below. 🙂
If you try this recipe, be sure to rate it in the comments so we know how yours turned out! While you’re at it, tag a photo of your masterpiece with #carrotsandflowers on Instagram so we can see!
- 14 oz firm tofu
- 2 cups broccoli, chopped fine
- 1 cup leeks, thinly sliced
- 3 Tbsp nutritional yeast
- 1½ Tbsp tamari or soy sauce
- 1 Tbsp grapeseed or olive oil
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 Tbsp cornstarch
- ½ tsp smoked paprika
- ½ tsp white pepper
- ½ tsp turmeric
- Slice the white and light green parts of the leeks into very small, thin pieces. Discard the the darker green tops or use them for vegetable stock or compost.
- Heat the oil in a skillet on medium high, non-stick works best. Sauté the leeks and broccoli for 2-3 minutes stirring often. Add the garlic and cook for another 3-4 minutes until the veggies turn a bright green and release some of their water. Remove from heat.
- Preheat your oven to 375F. Using your hands, squeeze most of the water from the tofu and place it in a food processor bowl with the remaining ingredients. Process for 2-3 minutes until smooth, then remove the blade and stir in the cooked broccoli and leeks. Transfer the mixture to a lightly oiled 9" round pan. Bake at 375F for 20-25 minutes until golden brown on the top and a fork in the center comes out clean. Let sit for 5 minutes before serving.
If you enjoyed this vegan frittata recipe, be sure to check out our Vegan Breakfast Hash or our Mac Daddy Vegan Breakfast Sandwich for more savory plant-based breakfast options.