As a mother and a foodie, I’ve always had a knack for recreating my favorite childhood treats in a healthier, plant-based version. This Mother’s Day, my daughter Lily and I decided to venture back into those sweet memories and bring to life a recipe that is dear to my heart – Good Humor Strawberry Shortcake Ice Cream Bars.
Inspired by this nostalgic treat, we joined forces with NYC vegan restaurant chain Beatnic to create a delightful brunch recipe that is sure to tantalize your taste buds – Vegan Strawberry Crunch French Toast. This easy brunch recipe offers an explosion of flavors, combining the freshness of strawberries with the richness of a classic French toast, all wrapped up in a vegan package.
Vegan Strawberry Crunch French Toast is not just a recipe; it’s an experience. It’s the joy of cooking with your loved ones, the delight of indulging in your favorite treats guilt-free, and the satisfaction of a home-cooked brunch that doesn’t compromise on taste or health.
This simple and quick recipe yields four servings and takes under half an hour to prepare and cook.
The star of the show, the Strawberry Crunch, is a blend of vanilla sandwich cookies, freeze-dried strawberries, vegan butter, and sea salt. This crunchy exterior gives the French toast a unique texture and flavor that is both surprising and delightful.
The creamy center is a sweet combination of vegan cream cheese, maple syrup, and fresh strawberries. This is sandwiched between slices of vegan brioche that have been soaked in a colorful bath of coconut milk, aquafaba, dragonfruit powder, chickpea flour, strawberry jelly, and vanilla.
Finally, the French toast is baked to perfection, allowing the Strawberry Crunch to truly shine. To top it all off, each slice is garnished with a dollop of vegan whipped cream, fresh strawberries, and a drizzle of maple syrup. The result? A feast for the senses!
So, why wait? Make your brunch special with this Vegan Strawberry Crunch French Toast. It’s not just a vegan brunch recipe; it’s a walk down memory lane, a celebration of childhood favorites, and a testament to the fact that vegan dishes can be just as delicious, if not more.
To save this recipe for later, pin the photo below! Head to Instagram to watch the recipe video and don’t forget to tag me if you try it! For more delicious vegan brunch recipes, try my Vegan Apple Pie French Toast, which is also currently available to try at two Beatnic locations in NYC- Soho and Williamsburg!
- 10 vanilla sandwich cookies
- 1¼ cups freeze dried strawberries
- 3 tbsp vegan butter
- ¼ tsp sea salt
- 1 cup vegan cream cheese
- 2-3 tbsp maple syrup, plus more for serving
- 8 slices vegan brioche
- ½ cup full fat coconut milk
- ½ cup aquafaba
- 2 tbsp pink dragonfruit powder
- 1 tbsp chickpea flour
- 1 tbsp strawberry jelly
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1 cup fresh strawberries, sliced
- vegan whipped cream for serving
- Preheat the oven to 375 F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Add the cookies, freeze dried strawberries, vegan butter, and salt to a food processor. Pulse until you achieve a medium crumb. Transfer the Strawberry Crunch pieces to a shallow bowl.
- Whip the cream cheese and maple syrup until smooth and creamy. Spread a large spoonful on the inside of the brioche. Layer the strawberries on 4 slices of brioche. Sandwich the other 4 slices on top, cream cheese side down. Gently press the brioche slices together.
- In a large shallow bowl, whisk together the the coconut milk, aquafaba, dragonfruit, chickpea flour, jelly, and vanilla. Use a slotted spatula to dunk each piece of French toast on all sides.
- Gently coat each piece in Strawberry Crunch. Place on the baking sheet and bake for 8-9 minutes. Meanwhile, whisk another 1 tbsp maple syrup into the cream cheese. Once cooked, spread the remaining cream cheese over the bare spots of the French toast. Add more Strawberry Crunch to the sides and top. Finish with a dollop of vegan whipped cream, fresh, strawberries, and maple syrup.