Hi friends! Welcome to the first meal from my new recipe series, #dollarstorevegan meals!
As the world catches on to how healthy and sustainable plant-based food is, I want to make sure everyone the meals are accessible and affordable for everyone.
Every week or two, I’ll be shopping at different dollar stores and creating meals with what I find there. My first recipe for the series is Vegan Mole Mushroom Tacos with Yam Hash.
This flavorful and nourishing meal whips up in about 25 minutes and tastes amazing! The refried beans add a creamy texture, along with heartiness and protein. The mole mushrooms are delicious and so easy to prepare. Serve the vegan mole mushroom tacos with a tasty and filling yam hash for a complete meal!
Now let’s talk price. I bought all the ingredients for this meal for $15, which comes out to about $3.50 per serving. Not bad, especially since I had plenty of leftover tortillas, avocados, yams, purple potatoes, and onions, which can all be repurposed into more meals.
I hope you love these Vegan Mole Mushroom Tacos and this new #dollarstorevegan recipe series! For more delicious and budget-friendly vegan recipes, check out my Vegan Bolognese or my Sheet Pan Cauliflower Fajitas!
Be sure to let me know in the comments how you like these Vegan Mole Mushroom Tacos! To save this post for later, pin the photo below!
- 1 tbsp oil
- 3 small yams, diced
- 2 cups purple potatoes, diced
- 1 yellow onion , diced
- 5 cloves garlic, minced
- ½ tsp cumin
- ½ tsp chili powder
- ½ tsp salt
- ¼ tsp black pepper
- 2 tsp oil
- 8 oz (226 g) baby portobella, crimini, or white mushrooms, thinly sliced
- 3.5 oz (99 g) oyster mushrooms, chopped
- dash salt
- 15 oz (430 g) vegetarian refried beans
- 12 small corn tortillas
- 2 ripe avocados
- ½ cup (120 ml) ready to serve mole sauce
- 1 lime, sliced
- 1 tsp brown sugar (optional)
- ½ cup salsa (optional)
- Heat 1 tbsp (15 ml) oil in an extra large pan over medium high heat. Add ⅔ of the onion. Saute for 1 minute, then add ⅔ of the garlic. Cook and stir for 30 seconds then add the yams and potatoes. Season with cumin, chili powder, salt, and pepper. Reduce heat to medium and cook for 7-8 more minutes or until tender, stirring often.
- Meanwhile, heat another 1 tsp oil in a large pan over medium high heat.. Add the onions. Cook for 1 minute then add the garlic. Cook for 30 seconds then add the mushrooms, along with another tsp of oil. Let them cook undisturbed for 2 minutes. Stir and scrape the pan, then let them cook undisturbed for another 2-3 minutes. Season with a little pinch of salt and cumin. When the mushrooms are tender and browned, add the mole sauce and stir to coat. Taste and adjust seasoning if desired. Add a little salt to make the flavors pop, brown sugar for sweetness, chili powder for more heat and smokiness, and cumin for flavor. Finish with a squeeze of lime juice.
- While the mushrooms are cooking, warm the refried beans and tortillas. Slice the avocados. Build your tacos with a large smear of refried beans. Top with a scoop of mole mushrooms and finish with sliced avocado. Serve the tacos with a side of yam hash and salsa, if desired.
PS! In case you haven’t heard, my new cookbook, Vegan YUM: The Secrets to Mastering Plant-Based Cooking comes out December 15th! Click here to learn more and pre-order a copy!
Craig Wier says
I live in the PNW and I have never seen “ready to serve mole sauce” in a chain grocery store up here.
Port Townsend, WA
Carrots and Flowers says
In your area, you might have better luck at a Latin American grocery store! The prices are usually very affordable too. 🙂