Buffalo chicken sandwiches are one of the most universally revered foods here in the States. Who can resist a giant, saucy spicy fried sandwich smothered in ranch dressing? Not me!
Luckily, it is 2018 and we can make vegan versions of anything! Why eat chicken when you can make Vegan Buffalo Chickpea Sandwiches?
These Vegan Buffalo Chickpea Sandwiches are perfect for a quick dinner or Game Day snack. I promise your Super Bowl party will be a much bigger hit with a plate of these on the table!
And they couldn’t be easier to make. Chickpeas + Spices + Flour = VEGAN MAGIC!
The method for these Vegan Buffalo Chickpea Sandwiches was inspired by one of my all-time favorite vegan cookbooks, Veganomicon.
My husband has been dying for a vegan buffalo sandwich recipe, so when I found their simple recipe for chickpea cutlets, I knew I could make a killer buffalo sandwich with the chickpea/wheat gluten combo!
If you’ve been following me for a while, you know how much I love a good aquafaba batter followed by a pan fry, as evidenced by my Baja Portobello “Fish” Tacos and my Vegan Southern Fried Chik’n and Waffles.
These methods were the perfect compliment to the chickpea cutlet base to create the most delicious Vegan Buffalo Chickpea Sandwiches EVER. Hearty, saucy, and fool-proof- this recipe is so simple!
Have these Vegan Buffalo Chickpea Sandwiches on the table under forty minutes! You can make them even faster if you batch out the dough ahead of time. It will keep tightly wrapped in the fridge for up to three days.
These vegan buffalo chickpea sandwiches are so satisfying.. They are:
Easy to make
Full of protein
Comfort food heaven!
If you try these Vegan Buffalo Chickpea Sandwiches, please rate them in the comments below! We’d love to hear how yours turned out!
While you’re at it, post of photo of your creations to Instagram with the tag #carrotsandflowers It always makes our day! To save this recipe for later, Pin the photo below!
- Chickpea Patties
- 1 can chickpeas
- 2 Tbsp olive oil + ⅔ cup for pan frying
- ⅔ cup bread crumbs
- 1½ cubes vegan chicken bouillon
- 2 tsp smoked paprika
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- ½ tsp dried thyme
- ½ tsp sea salt
- juice of 1 lemon
- ⅔ cup gluten
- Vegan Buffalo Sauce
- 3 Tbsp melted vegan butter
- 1½ Tbsp cayenne based hot sauce
- 1 tsp white vinegar
- ½ tsp garlic powder
- ¼ tsp cayenne powder
- For serving
- 6 vegan sandwich buns
- romaine or green leaf lettuce
- 2 beefsteak tomatos
- vegan ranch dressing
- Drain and rinse the chickpeas, reserving the liquid (aquafaba) in a shallow bowl.
- Mash the chickpeas with 2 Tbsp olive oil until no whole chickpeas are left, but still leaving some chunky pieces. Add ⅔ cup bread crumbs, 1½ cubes of vegan chicken bouillon, 2 tsp smoked paprika, 1 tsp garlic powder, ½ tsp dried thyme, ½ tsp sea salt, and the juice of 1 lemon. Mix with a fork or your hands until just combined.
- Sprinkle in ⅔ cup vital wheat gluten flour. Knead the dough with your hands until gluten strings form, about 2-3 minutes. Add more gluten 1 Tbsp at a time if the dough feels too wet and sticky. Form the dough into patties using small handfuls of dough. Press the patty into a shape slightly larger than the size of your palm, about ½"-3/4" thick.
- In a shallow bowl, whisk together ½ cup flour, 3 Tbsp corn starch, and ¼ sea salt. In a separate shallow bowl, prepare your buffalo sauce by combining 3 Tbsp melted vegan butter, 1½ Tbsp hot sauce, 1 tsp white vinegar, ½ tsp garlic powder, and ¼ tsp cayenne powder. Whisk together until smooth.
- In a skillet on medium heat, pour enough olive oil to cover ⅓" of then pan, about ⅔ cup depending on the size of your skillet. Working quickly so the oil doesn't burn, coat the chickpea patties in the aquafaba, then dip them into the flour mixture. To keep your fingers from becoming too sticky, use a fork to transfer the patty from the aquafaba to the flour, then use a dry hand to sprinkle flour and coat the patty. Transfer the battered chickpea patties to the pan with a fork.
- Working in batches, fry each patty until golden brown, about 3-4 minutes on both sides. When finished, transfer the fried patties to a plate lined with kitchen towels to drain the oil.
- Give the buffalo sauce a good whisk in case it separated, then lightly coat the chickpea patties in sauce. Serve immediately on vegan buns with lettuce, tomato, and vegan ranch.
Method inspired by Veganomicon.