Meet my latest creation… Korean BBQ Veggie Burgers!
Hearty, savory, and just a bit spicy, these burgers are packed with flavor and healthy goodness.
The base for these Korean BBQ Veggie Burgers is made up of sweet potato, celery, and mushrooms sautéd with sesame oil and tamari. So YUM.
The sautéd veggies are then combined with chickpeas and oat flour then crusted in hemp seeds and cooked in the most delicious sauce.
You can throw these Korean BBQ Veggie Burgers on top of a colorful salad with kimchee and lots of sriracha…
Or make giant burgers topped with kimchee slaw and avocado.
So much goodness in just one bite!
These Korean BBQ Veggie Burgers taste amazing! They are:
Just a bit sweet
Crunchy on the outside
Packed with flavor
SO SO TASTY!
If you try these Korean BBQ Veggie Burgers, be sure to rate them in the comments and/or tagging a photo with #carrotsandflowers on Instagram! We love to see what you come up with!
- Korean BBQ Burgers
- 1 sweet potato, peeled and diced
- 1 celery stalk, diced fine
- ½ cup sliced mushrooms
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 can chickpeas
- 1 cup rolled oats
- 2 Tbsp Follow Your Heart vegan egg (can swap 2 flax eggs)
- 1 cup cooked brown rice
- 3 Tbsp soy sauce or GF tamari
- ½ tsp red pepper flakes
- 1 Tbsp minced ginger
- 1 Tbsp sesame oil
- ¼ cup hemp seeds
- ½ cup soy sauce
- 2 Tbsp sriracha
- 1 Tbsp cornstarch
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 3 Tbsp agave nectar
- 4 hamburger buns (GF if desired)
- 2 avocados
- ⅔ cup kimchee, chopped
- ⅓ cup shredded cabbage
- 2 Tbsp vegan mayo
- Sauce- In a small bowl, whisk together all ingredients. Set aside to thicken.
- Burgers- Heat the sesame oil in a skillet over medium high. Add the sweet potato and cook for 5 minutes. Stir in the mushrooms, celery, 2 Tbsp soy sauce or tamari, and garlic and cook for another 7 minutes, until the mushrooms release all of their liquid. Meanwhile, combine the Follow Your Heart vegan egg with ¼ cup ice cold water. Whisk well and set aside.
- Process the oats in a food processor until they become a flour. Add the cooked vegetable mixture from the skillet, along with the chickpeas, and rice. Pulse several times, but do not let the mixture become a paste. Transfer to a bowl. Stir in the vegan egg, red pepper flakes. Mash well with your hands to combine. Freeze the patties for 10 minutes to firm them up.
- Preheat the oven to 375F. Divide the mixture into 4 patties and sprinkle each one with hemp seeds on both sides. Cook the patties in a large skillet with the ⅔ of the sauce for 3-4 minutes on each side to caramelize the sauce. Using a spatula, carefully transfer the patties to a baking sheet lined with parchment paper. Bake at 375 for 20-25 minutes.
- Kimchee Slaw- Combine the kimchee, cabbage, and vegan mayo. Stir well.
- Serve the burgers on toasted buns (GF if desired) with kimchee slaw and sliced avocado.
*To make a flax egg, combine 1 Tbsp ground flax with 2½ Tbsp water. Whisk well and set aside to thicken for 5-10 minutes. Using flax instead of vegan egg will make the burgers a bit softer.
*Recipe inspired by Eat Drink Shrink's Hawaiian Burger.
To save these Korean BBQ Veggie Burgers for later, pin the photo below!