Today I’m celebrating all things brunch related! I’ve combined my two great food loves, cornbread and pancakes, into one delicious meal.
We’re talking Vegan Buttermilk Cornbread Pancakes. Topped with a chunky homemade blackberry syrup that whips up in no time.
Think fluffy, crunchy, sweet, and savory all rolled into one and you’ve got yourself the best vegan buttermilk cornbread pancakes EVER.
These vegan buttermilk cornbread pancakes came about in a happy accident. I was gearing up to make jalepeño cream cheese cornbread muffins when I realized my vegan cream cheese had spoiled and my jalenpeños were shriveled and gross looking. (re: terrible for photos!)
But since I had a carton of blackberries in the back of my fridge, I went in a sweeter direction.
I made an excellent decision.
It’s hard to go wrong with pancakes in general, but these beautiful little cakes reminded me of sunshine, Sunday mornings, and all the delicious flavors of living in the South.
I didn’t love everything about living in the South (Atlanta summers are SO HOT!) but the food there does not disappoint.
With their light fluffy texture with the perfect amount of crunch, these vegan buttermilk cornbread pancakes are what brunch dreams are made of.
Topped with easy blackberry syrup and a pat of melted vegan butter and you have heaven on a plate, my friends!
If you try this vegan buttermilk cornbread pancakes recipe, be sure to let us know by rating them in the comments or tagging a photo with #carrotsandflowers on Instagram!
- 1 cup cornmeal
- ¼ cup flour
- 1¼ cups plant-based milk
- 1 tsp vinegar
- 1 Tbsp ground flaxseed
- 2½ Tbsp water
- ¼ tsp salt
- ½ tsp baking soda
- 1 Tbsp vegan butter or coconut oil
- Blackberry Syrup
- 1 cup blackberries (fresh or frozen)
- ⅔ cup maple syrup
- Combine the vinegar and non-dairy milk in a small bowl and stir. Set aside to thicken into "buttermilk."
- Combine the ground flax and water and stir. Set aside.
- Add the blackberries and maple syrup to a small saucepan over medium heat. Bring to a boil then reduce heat to medium low and let simmer for 15 minutes, mashing the berries occasionally.
- Meanwhile, whisk together the cornmeal, flour, salt, and baking soda. Stir in the "buttermilk" and flax "egg." Whisk until the mixture is smooth.
- Grease a skillet over medium high heat with 1 Tbsp coconut oil or vegan butter. Use ¼ measuring cup to pour the cornmeal batter onto the skillet. Cook until golden brown, about 1 minute on each side. When the edges begin to look cooked, very carefully flip the pancakes over.