When I created a Raw Hemp Seed Tzatziki last week, I knew I needed to make the perfect vegan gyro to go with it. Thus, these Portobello Gyros were born. I’m a big fan of using mushrooms or other vegetables in place of meat in most situations. As much as I love the taste of vegan meat substitutes, they are often quite processed and a bit hard to digest. I much prefer fresh, whole foods like these meaty, delicious Portobellos Gyros!
The shining star of this recipe is Vegan Worchestershire sauce. It lends the perfect amount of complexity to the flavor of the Portobello Gyros without the trouble of measuring out a ton of ingredients. Many Worchestershire sauces are vegan, but some contain fish sauce so be sure to check the label. I like Annie’s Organics brand. I found it at my local health food store and it’s also carried online.
I swear I could eat portobello mushrooms every day! They are so good, especially in these Portobello Gyros. I’m going to test a fully raw version of these Portobello Gyros soon so stay tuned! 🙂
- 2 portobello caps, sliced
- 2 tbsp vegan worcestershire sauce
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp maple syrup
- ½ cup Raw Hemp Tzatziki
- 2 pitas
- In a small bowl, whisk together the Worchestershire, cumin, and maple syrup. Pour the marinade over the portobello slices and stir until evenly combined. I like to put it all in a tupperware container and shake it up. Set aside for 15 minutes. Prepare the Raw Tzatziki.
- Heat a skillet on medium. With a bit of water or cooking oil, sauté the mushrooms for 4-5 minutes. Stir often to prevent sticking. Remove from heat and let cool for 2-3 minutes.
- Warm 2 pitas in a skillet, roughly ten seconds on each side. Divide the portobello gyros between the two pitas and top each one with ¼ Raw Tzatziki. The portobello gyros will keep in an airtight container in the fridge for 3-4 days. Serves 2.
Did try these Portobello Gyros? Leave us a comment and tell us about it! While you’re at it, post a photo of your Portobello Gyros to Instagram with the tag #carrotsandflowers 🙂 We can’t wait to see your awesome photos!!
To save this Portobello Gyros recipe for later, pin the photo below!