Rainbow spring rolls make the most deliciously colorful snack ever!
Fresh fruits and vegetables wrapped up with black rice, with a sweet red curry dipping sauce on the side. Now that is my idea of a good time.
Rice paper rolls are one of the most versatile plant-based foods around. They’re traditionally used in Vietnamese cuisine, stuffed with herbs, tofu, and rice noodles.
Here I’m giving them a Thai spin with the sweet red curry sauce and using black rice, also called forbidden rice, for it’s nutritional value and also cause it looks so pretty against the fruit! Black rice is high in protein and fiber and boasts more antioxidants than any other type of rice. Pretty impressive, right?
To make these rainbow spring rolls, dip a rice paper wrap in warm water then let it sit on a flat dry surface for 10 seconds or so until it becomes tacky.
Fill up your rainbow spring rolls with whatever toppings tickle your fancy and get to wrapping!
It takes a bit of practice to make the rolls look pretty. My advice is to not skimp on the fillings. You want your rainbow spring rolls to be stuffed full. The little skimpy ones look kind of sad!
The only downside to these rainbow spring rolls is that they are almost to pretty to eat!
They make the perfect snack or appetizer and will liven up any party spread. To make a meal out of these rainbow spring rolls, consider adding some baked tofu or shelled edamame for extra protein.
If you make these rainbow spring rolls, leave us a comment and let us know how yours turned out! Did you use different fillings or another sauce? Tell us everything!
While you’re at it, tag a photo with #carrotsandflowers to Instagram so we can admire your colorful creations!
- 8 rice paper rolls
- 1 cup black rice
- ½ avocado, sliced
- ½ cup strawberries, sliced
- 1 kiwi, peeled and sliced
- yellow pepper slices
- pea sprouts (optional)
- edible flowers (optional)
- Red Curry Sauce
- ¼ cup coconut yogurt
- 2 Tbsp red curry paste
- 2 Tbsp agave nectar
- ¼ tsp lime juice
- Cook the black rice according to package instructions.
- Add hot water to a wide, shallow bowl or pan. Dip the rice paper roll in the water for 3-5 seconds then lay in flat on a dry surface. Let sit for 10 seconds until the roll becomes sticky.
- Place a 3-4 inch layer of your desired toppings in the center of the rice paper roll. Cover the toppings with 3-4 Tbsp of cooked black rice. Pack the rice down tightly with damp fingers.
- Carefully peel up one end of the roll and wrap it tightly around the fillings. Peel one side of the roll up and pull it slightly before wrapping it tightly around the roll. Repeat on the other side and carefully continue to roll up the rainbow roll.
- For the sauce- Whisk coconut yogurt with red curry paste, agave, and lime juice.
*Add shelled edamame for extra protein
*Nutritional information is based on 1 roll with ½ Tbsp red curry sauce.
If you enjoyed these rainbow spring rolls and want to see more delicious vegan appetizers, be sure to check out our Vegan Hearts of Palm Crab Cakes or our Best Ever Vegan Dumplings!