Ok, I know what you’re thinking. There’s no way this beautiful monster can be vegan, right? WRONG! This Mac Daddy Vegan Breakfast Sandwich is entirely free of all animal products. No eggs, no meat, no cheese. It’s made with the most eerily realistic vegan substitutes on the market and let me tell you, it is DELICIOUS!!
About a month ago, my husband and I created a Kickstarter campaign to expand this site. It was a HUGE success and with everyone’s support, we were able to grow tremendously in the last couple of weeks. Our Facebook likes went from around 700 to over 10,800 and climbing as of today! Our latest cooking video has been viewed over 250,000 times and we reached over 1.6 MILLION people with our posts this week. It’s been hella exciting, we love turning people on to tasty vegan food and spreading the message of cruelty-free cuisine that’s better for the planet and personal health.
One of our Kickstarter perks included a custom vegan version of any recipe of the backers choosing. When we got a request for a vegan egg sandwich (Thanks Elina!) I knew exactly what I wanted to make. Some vegan breakfast sandwiches use slabs of tofu as an egg replacer but since Follow Your Heart just came out with a Vegan Egg substitute, I had to try it! It is crazy realistic, pretty much exactly like eggs. I added a few extra spices to the mix to make it more flavorful and with the hash browns, cheese, and vegan sausage, this Vegan Breakfast Sandwich tastes AMAZING!!!
- 2 vegan sandwich buns
- 2 Field Roast apple sage sausage
- 4 slices Field Roast Chao slices
- 8 tbsp Follow Your Heart Vegan Egg level tbsp, not heaping
- 3 cups frozen shredded hash browns
- ½ cup chopped green onion
- 1 tbsp nutritional yeast
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1½ tsp sea salt divided
- 1 tsp white pepper
- 4 tbsp grapeseed oil can substitute any cooking oil
- 1 tsp Earth Balance
- 2 cups ice cold water
- Preheat the oven to 200 degrees. Using 3 tablespoons of grapeseed oil and ½ tsp sea salt, cooking the hashbrowns according to package instructions. Once they are crispy on one side, carefully flip them over and layer the Chao slices on top of the hash browns. Cover the pan for 1-2 minutes while the other side of the hash browns cook so the Chao slices melt. When the hash browns are done, place them in the oven to keep them warm.
- In a medium sized bowl, combine the Vegan Egg with the nutritional yeast, garlic powder, white pepper, and remaining sea salt. Stir well. Add the ice cold water and whisk well until no lumps are left. Heat ½ tbs of grapeseed oil in a non-stick pan and add the Vegan Egg mixture. It will begin scrambling right away. Keep stirring until the mixture is cooked, about 8-10 minutes. When it begins to resemble fluffy scrambled eggs, stir in the green onion.
- While the Vegan Egg mixture is cooking, split the Field Roast links in half and cook them in a pan with ½ tbsp of oil until crispy and brown on both sides. Keep them warm in the oven with the hash browns. Spread the Earth Balance on the buns and place them in the oven to be lightly toasted.
- On each toasted bun, stack a layer of hash browns and cheese, followed by ½ of the scrambled Vegan Eggs. Finish with another layer of hash browns and cheese and one Field Roast sausage link. Pop the bun top on and enjoy! Serve with ketchup and a drizzle of maple syrup.
If any omnivores have doubts about the deliciousness of vegan food, this Vegan Breakfast Sandwich is sure to convince them! Who says vegans eat only lettuce? 🙂
Did you make this recipe? Leave us a comment and tell us all about it! It will seriously make our day. And while you’re at it, snap a photo of this bad boy and post it to Instagram with the tag #carrotsandflowers so we can all drool over your magnificent Vegan Breakfast Sandwich!!